When you are looking to self publish your book there are various things that you should consider. One of these is the size of the book. The size of the book plays an important part in the overall designing. When you visit any bookstore you will come across books of various shapes and sizes. If you notice closely the designs of the books vary according to the sizes significantly. So, which is the right size of book for your short run book? Well, there are some variables that will determine your choice. So look through these variables before making the final choice:
- Genre: The size of the book varies according to the genre. There are some books which are associated with having a specific size, such as the mass market paperbacks are of small size (less than 5 inches in width and 8 inches in length). While the books on computer and technical information are larger in size of 7.25X9.25 or approximately that dimension. If you are looking to have good sales with your book then it is not wise to deviate from the general norms of size. Remember you will be selling the books through the retail stores where there are display racks of particular size to accommodate each genre of books.
- Printer: Most of the book printers offer standard sized prints. Before getting the quotes you have to get an idea about the standard sizes of the printers and make your book layout likewise. It is difficult to visually make out the difference between 7”X10” and 6”X9”, so visit the nearest retail store and measure the books displayed there. If you are looking to print self published book using both offset technology and print on demand you should format the book so that they can be printed either way. Usually printers have fewer size variations when it comes to hardback or color books, so this factor should also be kept in mind.
- Content: If the physical size of the book is small, then there will be more pages in the book. If you are looking to self publish a book with 50,000 words it will have 200 pages in the 6”X9” format, while in the 7”X10” format it will have 170 pages. When you are using the print on demand technology the pricing depends on the per page charge and base unit cost. The unit costs will vary according to the page sizes. Renowned printing service providers offer two categories such as large and small paperbacks. The unit of large paperbacks is definitely more then the smaller ones. If you can not decide on which option to go for then it is wise to get the calculators out and opt for the one costing you less on the printing charges.
- Layout: If you intend to include pictures and diagrams in your book, then you will have to select a larger size to fit these ideally. Book’s readability is one of the most important considerations, so when you are preparing the layout for the book make sure it can be easily read. There should white spaces and margins left in the book to ease the reading experience.
- Audience: If you are writing a book for the older audiences then the font for the book should be large. This will automatically make the book larger.
Renowned printing agencies such as PrintPapa have all the options available for the self publishers. PrintPapa not only offers extensive list of options for self publishing of short run books but they also offer printing services for various promotional materials such as NCR Forms, Labels & Stickers, Rack Cards, Flyers, Banners, Booklets, Presentation Folders, etc.