There is a famous saying “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover” but the truth is most people tend to do that. Thus book cover becomes very vital for a book. If you have opted for self publishing for your next book it is important that you make the cover of the book look attractive by focusing on the design. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind while designing the cover of your self published book:
- Theme It: The book cover should be themed around the genre of the book. The cover should be able to give a brief introduction of the book. You can use graphics, images, artwork or print a plain background depending on how you tend to convey your message to the readers. If you are targeting a specific age group you should theme the book accordingly.
- Make It Attractive: The book should catch the eye of the readers at one go when placed among a crowd. It should make the readers pick up the book and flip through some of the pages. Try printing the cover in bright color if it goes with the theme of your book. This will make it stand out among the crowd and look attractive in the book shelf.
- Images And Graphics: Try printing graphics and images relating to the book on it’s cover. If you are writing on a event, personality or a place you should print an image related to it. In case of fiction, graphics and artwork look much better. The cover can also be plain and simple if that conveys more message than images and graphics.
- Text Is Important: The name of your book and your name should appear prominently in your book. The name should be printed in big legible fonts both on the front page and the side. The back cover can be used to write a short gist about the book and testimonials if you have received any. You should also write a short biography about yourself.
- Add A Dust Jacket: Dust jackets bring in a very classy look to your book. You can print the same images on the front, back and side of the dust jacket as the cover of the book. You can use the side flaps to write a short biography or introductory message about yourself in the book.
Hiring the services of a professional printer to print the book and the cover is important and this is where Print Papa comes in handy. They are one of the best printers when it comes to self publishing authors. They are equipped with the latest technology and have expertise in printing booklets, brochures, rack cards, flyers, newsletters and presentation folders among others.
Self-publishing is the publication of a book by the author. Don’t be scared it doesn’t require you to set up a printing press to publish your book! It is just a process where you don’t take your manuscripts to a third-party publisher but instead to a printer and get the job done at your own expense. There is lot of buzz around self publishing these days as authors are not fully dependent on publishers for approving and printing their books.
The advent of technology and publishing tools such as MS Office, Corel Draw, Pagemager, Photoshop etc has empowered every author to wear multiple hats like the designer and typesetter of the book. This relieves the author of depending on the third party publisher and the creative freedom all author strive for. There are a lot of advantages of self publishing. Some of them are:
• You are the boss! You get make all the decisions regarding the book and don’t have the editors removing parts of the book or executives suggesting changes to make the book more commercial.
• A publisher pays you only a small percentage of the profits unless you are a big name who can negotiate terms. With self publishing you get to keep the entire profit for yourself.
• In self publishing you get to retain the right of the book and set the market price for it. If the book becomes a bestseller you can strike a lucrative deal with the publisher.
• You can edit your book for the second edition if you feel necessary following the feedback of your first. A publisher may not allow you to edit the content of your book.
• You can reproduce the entire book or parts of it somewhere else in case you want which is not possible with a publisher who will keep rights of your book.
• You do not need to attend promotional events and keep on hopping from city to city at your publisher’s wish to reap maximum commercial benefits from your book.
• You are not bound by any long term contracts which don’t allow you to look for greener pastures.
All you need to self publish your book is a good and professional printer. This is where a printing service provider like Print Papa can be of great help to you. They are a professionally managed company which uses the latest technology in printing. They have been regularly offering high quality jobs to their clients at competitive prices. They have built expertise in printing calenders, catalogs, labels, NCR forms and rack cards.
PrintPapa Offers Short Run Soft Cover Perfect Binded Book Printing for your book. These books are printed proffesionally and can be sold at a book store. We offer 3 standard sizes, but if you need a custom size, just request for a custom quote. You can order as low as 5 books at a time. So next time when you are ready to write a book, you know where to go for publishing it.