How much should I charge for the book?
Will it sell at this price?
Am I pricing it too low?
Will I be able to make profits selling my book?
These are the questions which usually goes through the minds of every self publishing author. If you can plan to just market yourself through your book then you can price it at the cost price per book but most self publishing authors look for profits from their books. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind which will help you in setting the right price on your book:
- First and foremost calculate the total production cost and divide it by the number of copies to get the cost per copy. This cost should include each and every cost incurred from conception to printing even travels you might have undertaken to publish it.
- Books are usually priced 2.5 times their production cost as it includes your profit as well as a good margin for the retailer which will be around 20%. This will ensure that even if half your books sell you recover the total sum spent on the book.
- The pricing of the book will also depend on the physical traits of your book like quality of paper, size, printing and binding. If you plan to cut on the production cost of your book you can bring it down by altering any of these elements.
- If your book has to compete with another in the market, it should be priced same if not less than your competitor’s book to ensure it has a competitive advantage.
- If you are planning to sell your book in sites like Amazon, you will need to price it a substantially higher than the production cost as most online portals showcase a book with a discount and charge a huge percentage as service charge.
- If you are planning to promote your book, you will need to spend money on the promotions. This should also be included in the production cost of the book.
A good self published book needs good printing and you will need to hire a good printing service provider like Print Papa. They will deliver you high quality printed material at very competitive cost. This printing agency has expertise in printing banners, business cards, notepads, envelopes, letterheads, rack cards, booklets etc. They have high end printing machines at their end which helps them deliver high quality jobs at on time to their clients.